“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar
Staying fired up over anything is incredibly tough and outright exhausting. I’ll be the first to admit that and I’m usually someone who is positive and upbeat to a fault. It doesn’t matter what you’re trying to accomplish – healthy living, starting or growing a business, or building better relationships – staying motivated is going to be a serious challenge.
So how does someone do it? How do you stay motivated to get something done? Unfortunately, you don’t. You simply can’t do it so stop trying to stay motivated 100% of the time – it’s going to burn you out.
That doesn’t mean there aren’t a few things you can do to set yourself up for success.
1. Understand that motivation is cyclical. It will have its ups and downs – there will be some days you’re really fired up and others where you’re just not feeling it. This can be caused by a lot of things – the weather, your diet, your health, those surrounding you, and so much more. Some mornings you won’t want to get up and go to the gym. Some evenings you won’t want to come home and work on your side business. The first step is simply accepting this as part of life.
2. Focus on dedicated and determination. When you are super motivated make sure you get into the right mindset of what you want to accomplish. Break it down into a plan and get determined to make it happen. Determination and dedication towards a task will last much longer than motivation. Make it a priority – publicly and internally.
3. Rely on others. Find accountability partners – something who is willing to call you out when you’re letting yourself get lazy, or help give you encouragement and feedback then you’re pushing forward. Having others on a similar journey helps, but they could simply be friends that are willing to help you out.
4. Experiment. I often super-dose on vitamin D (5000-7000IU per day for 1-2 days) and test UV lighting exposure throughout the day sometimes to see what works and keeps me at my top motivation and productivity (weather impacts my mood like crazy). I also know exactly what foods will help me stay fired up and which will send me into a slump. Listening to your body and experimenting is a great way to push the cycle in your favour. Things like brisk walks or runs outdoors or timed coffee intake can really impact your motivation.
5. Know the difference between demotivation and change in direction. I often set goals that sound like the right thing at the time. These could be anything – training for a race, starting a new business project, or so on. There’s a difference between me getting lazy and not being able to accomplish a goal or task that I set out for myself because I’m demotivated and allowing myself to completely trash that goal and task because it doesn’t align with the direction I’m heading in. Don’t let a change in direction get you down, but at the same time don’t let that be an excuse to get lazy.
Also, I sometimes take 10 minutes out of my day to watch / listen to some inspirational videos or historical speeches. Here’s a good video to fire you up to get to the gym in the morning:
What do you think? I’ve been banging out a few long days over the last week or two in anticipation to launch a new project for one of my businesses. There have been some times when I’m just flat out demotivated and I do not want to continue on. It’s many of the above tips that I’ve been using to consistently deliver ship day after day. What works for you? How do you stay motivated? I’d love to hear it in the comments.